The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) has begun transferring detainees out of the Florida detention facility known as “Alligator Alcatraz” after a federal judge ordered the site to be dismantled within 60 days, as reported by The Gateway Pundit.
The detention center, located in the Florida Everglades and opened last month under Governor Ron DeSantis’ direction, was designed to hold illegal aliens, including violent offenders and foreign nationals with terrorism designations.
The facility’s remote location is surrounded by swampland, pythons, and alligators.
Image Credit: Jeff Holcombe – Shutterstock.com
Trump’s Sovereign Wealth Fund: What Could It Mean For Your Money?
On Thursday, U.S. District Judge Kathleen Williams, an Obama appointee, issued a preliminary injunction blocking the Trump Administration from sending new detainees to the site.
In an 82-page order, Williams also instructed federal and state officials to dismantle the facility no later than 60 days from her ruling.
According to the court order, the government is prohibited from installing additional lighting, fencing, buildings, or other infrastructure and barred from bringing any new detainees to the property.
Williams directed officials to remove temporary fencing, industrial lighting, generators, gas, sewage systems, and other equipment once detainee numbers decrease to a level that allows for safe removal.
This Could Be the Most Important Video Gun Owners Watch All Year
[esi random_video_player ttl=”0″]
Earlier this month, Judge Williams cited environmental violations in a separate ruling that paused new construction at the site for two weeks. At the time, she ruled the facility could continue to house existing detainees but barred additional development pending further review.
BREAKING: Kathleen Williams, an Obama-appointed US District Judge, issued an order to HALT any further expansion at Alligator Alcatraz detention facility in Florida. pic.twitter.com/3kHIxIq5wY
— Libs of TikTok (@libsoftiktok) August 7, 2025
Following Thursday’s decision, DHS confirmed that detainees are being relocated to other immigration detention centers. In a statement to CBS News, the department said it was complying with the order but criticized the ruling.
“DHS is complying with this order and moving detainees to other facilities. We will continue to fight tooth-and-nail to remove the worst of the worst from American streets,” the statement said.
The preliminary injunction marks the latest legal battle over the controversial facility, which local leaders and immigrant rights advocates challenged shortly after it was established.
Judge Williams’ order emphasized that the site must be dismantled within the mandated timeframe, with all environmental and operational equipment removed.
As of Wednesday, DHS had already begun moving detainees out of the facility, citing the court’s restrictions. Officials did not specify how many detainees remain or where they are being transferred.
The opinions expressed by contributors and/or content partners are their own and do not necessarily reflect the views of LifeZette. Contact us for guidelines on submitting your own commentary.
Read the full article here