“60 Minutes” correspondent Anderson Cooper plans to leave the long-running newsmagazine after nearly two decades, marking another staffing change at CBS News under editor-in-chief Bari Weiss, according to a report.
Breaker Media first reported that Cooper informed the network he would not renew his contract and would not return for the fall season. His remaining segments are expected to air through the end of the current broadcast run.
A representative for Cooper confirmed the decision when contacted by The Post. In a statement, Cooper said: “Being a correspondent at 60 Minutes has been one of the great honors of my career.”
Anderson Cooper is leaving 60 Minutes after nearly 20 years pic.twitter.com/mv87NciHVm
— Kalshi Culture (@Kalshi_Culture) February 16, 2026
Here’s What They’re Not Telling You About Your Retirement
“I got to tell amazing stories, and work with some of the best producers, editors, and camera crews in the business,” Cooper said in a statement.
“For nearly twenty years, I’ve been able to balance my jobs at CNN and CBS, but I have little kids now, and I want to spend as much time with them as possible, while they still want to spend time with me.”
This Could Be the Most Important Video Gun Owners Watch All Year
Cooper’s departure removes one of the most recognizable figures from the program during a period of internal tension at CBS News, where leadership changes and editorial decisions have sparked debate inside the newsroom.
Weiss took over as editor-in-chief of CBS News in October following the Paramount Skydance takeover. She pledged to reshape the news division and restore trust in the network’s journalism.
Since then, the network has experienced friction over editorial direction and programming decisions.
One of the earliest disputes involved a “60 Minutes” segment focused on El Salvador’s CECOT prison. The report was pulled shortly before airtime, prompting backlash from staff members before it ultimately aired.
The episode strained relations between veteran employees and the network’s new leadership.
The shakeups extended beyond the flagship newsmagazine. Weiss considered broader changes to CBS’s on-air lineup and at one point pursued Cooper for the “CBS Evening News” anchor position.
The broadcast was later reorganized around Tony Dokoupil, a move that drew scrutiny within the network.
CBS News subsequently carried out layoffs affecting dozens of employees. Buyouts followed, leading 11 staff members, including multiple producers, to depart from the “CBS Evening News.”
The network is preparing additional cuts expected to affect approximately 15% of its workforce.
The Post has sought comment from CBS News regarding Cooper’s departure and the broader restructuring efforts.
Cooper has been associated with “60 Minutes” for nearly 20 years while continuing his role at CNN.
His exit represents the latest development in a period of transition at CBS News as the network navigates internal criticism, staffing reductions, and ongoing changes to its editorial leadership structure.
Warning: Account balances and purchasing power no longer tell the same story. Know in 2 minutes if your retirement is working for you.
The opinions expressed by contributors and/or content partners are their own and do not necessarily reflect the views of LifeZette. Contact us for guidelines on submitting your own commentary.
Read the full article here


