A Michigan Republican filed a campaign finance complaint against Democratic Michigan Secretary of State Jocelyn Benson after she met with reporters to discuss her gubernatorial campaign in a state-funded building, according to a Wednesday social media post.
Former State House candidate Christian Charette announced in a post on X that he had filed the complaint against Benson and accused her of “utilizing public resources” during her campaign announcement. Charette further accused the Democrat of “abusing the office of Secretary of State to collect information that would later inform her run” in the social media post.
“Today, I filed a campaign finance complaint against @JocelynBenson for utilizing public resources during her Gubernatorial campaign announcement, and for abusing the office of Secretary of State to collect information that would later inform her run,” Charette wrote in the social media post.
“Jocelyn Benson isn’t shy about touting her ‘administrative abilities’ to ensure #Michigan election laws are followed,” Charette added. “It is unconscionable for her to excuse herself from these same stringent standards.”
(Photo by Alex Wong/Getty Images)
Benson announced her campaign to succeed Michigan Democratic Gov. Gretchen Whitmer in 2026 in a Wednesday post on X, stating that she is running to “ensure everyone gets a fair shot.” Benson has been facing scrutiny after she defended her use of the state office building by citing it was due to the cold weather. Notably, state law prohibits the use of public facilities for campaign activities. (RELATED: ‘Adverse To Our First Amendment’: Jim Acosta, Blue State AG Get Mad When Popular TV Host Does … Journalism)
“I don’t know of a cold weather exception to the law prohibiting the use of public resources for campaign activity,” a Michigan political attorney who requested anonymity previously told the Daily Caller News Foundation. “But if you look at the back and forth there, she doesn’t say, ‘Well, it’s legal.’ She says she’s doing it inside because it’s cold.”
“As Secretary of State, I saved you time and money at all of our branch offices, defended your freedoms, and made myself accountable to every Michigander,” Benson wrote on Saturday in a post on X. “Now, I’m running for Governor to continue fighting to make Michigan the best place to be a kid, raise a kid, and call home.”
The next Michigan gubernatorial election is set to take place on Nov. 3, 2026.
Benson’s campaign did not immediately respond to a request for comment from the DCNF.
All content created by the Daily Caller News Foundation, an independent and nonpartisan newswire service, is available without charge to any legitimate news publisher that can provide a large audience. All republished articles must include our logo, our reporter’s byline and their DCNF affiliation. For any questions about our guidelines or partnering with us, please contact [email protected].
Read the full article here