Top Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Spokesperson Tricia McLaughlin is departing the administration, the Daily Caller has confirmed.
McLaughlin originally planned to begin her departure in December, but the spokeswoman pushed back her leave following the Renee Good and Alex Pretti shootings in Minnesota, a source familiar with her plans told the Caller. The exit comes as DHS faces turmoil and backlash amid immigration efforts in Minnesota.
McLaughlin is a former senior communications aide for 2024 presidential candidate Vivek Ramaswamy and Republican Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine.
Days prior to McLaughlin’s departure, the Wall Street Journal published a piece about DHS Sec. Kristi Noem’s leadership, calling it “constant chaos.”
The ongoing shutdown is holding the safety and national security of the American people hostage.
Immigration enforcement is continuing unfettered, with @CBP and @ICEgov funded.
Congressional Democrats are using @TSA, @FEMA, @SecretService, @USCG, @CISAgov and other key… pic.twitter.com/nzwOftdloq
— Homeland Security (@DHSgov) February 17, 2026
Noem also faced backlash after the shooting of Pretti.
President Donald Trump announced after the incident that he would be sending Border Czar Tom Homan to Minnesota to handle the immigration operation. One source familiar with the situation told the Caller at the time that more leadership was needed on the ground. (RELATED: EXCLUSIVE: Minnesota Facing Yet Another Crisis As Trump Admin Puts Federal Funding In Peril)
Prior to the dispatching of Homan, reports had circulated in the media about a poor relationship between the border czar and the DHS secretary.
“The President and the American people trust Tom Homan because he’s been doing this work for over 30 years, and you can hear it the second he opens his mouth,” a source familiar with the situation previously told the Caller.
Read the full article here


