Transportation Secretary Sean Duffy announced this week that the federal government has rescinded $679 million in funding previously allocated to offshore wind projects across the United States.
The largest withdrawal affects California’s Humboldt Bay Offshore Wind project, where $427 million in planned funding has been cancelled.
President Trump cancels ~$700M in wind projects, over $400M of it in California pic.twitter.com/9wsYTQqPLS
— Breitbart News (@BreitbartNews) August 29, 2025
Trump’s Sovereign Wealth Fund: What Could It Mean For Your Money?
According to a report from CNBC, the Humboldt Bay project was intended to support California’s target of generating 25 gigawatts of offshore wind power by 2045.
The project was one of a dozen nationwide impacted by the Department of Transportation’s decision.
In his statement, Duffy explained that the funding will be redirected to strengthen traditional infrastructure projects and bolster the U.S. maritime industry.
This Could Be the Most Important Video Gun Owners Watch All Year
[esi random_video_player ttl=”0″]
“Wasteful, wind projects are using resources that could otherwise go towards revitalizing America’s maritime industry,” Duffy said.
“Joe Biden and Pete Buttigieg bent over backwards to use transportation dollars for their Green New Scam agenda while ignoring the dire needs of our shipbuilding industry. Thanks to President Trump, we are prioritizing real infrastructure improvements over fantasy wind projects that cost much and offer little.”
President Donald Trump has consistently criticized wind energy initiatives.
During a White House Cabinet meeting earlier this week, he reiterated his opposition to new wind projects.
“We’re not allowing any windmills to go up,” Trump said.
“They’re ruining our country. They’re ugly, they don’t work, they kill your birds. They’re bad for the environment. And if you look at them from a house, your house is worth less than 50 percent.”
Trump is now ranting about windmills
“Windmills– we’re not gonna allow ’em. They’re ruining our country. They are ruining everyone… They are ugly. They don’t work. They kill your birds. They are bad for the environment.”
Trump is a global embarrassment pic.twitter.com/o2RDbYRJtA
— Ron Smith (@Ronxyz00) August 26, 2025
The Department of Transportation, in a follow-up statement, emphasized that both the department and its Maritime Administration are now focused on advancing projects that enhance the nation’s shipbuilding sector and increase reliance on proven energy sources.
The statement read, “The Department of Transportation and the Maritime Administration are rebuilding America’s shipbuilding capacity, unleashing more reliable, traditional forms of energy, and utilizing the nation’s bountiful natural resources to unleash American energy.”
This is how wind turbines are built.
Think of how much energy goes into making one of these. pic.twitter.com/FlZsk9p8FI
— Ted Logan (@TedLogan1010) August 30, 2025
The withdrawal of funds from offshore wind projects marks a significant policy shift.
The Biden-Harris administration had supported offshore wind development as part of its broader renewable energy strategy, but those initiatives are now being rolled back under the Trump administration.
The Humboldt Bay project had been central to California’s offshore wind ambitions, intended to serve as a hub for turbines off the northern California coast.
With the cancellation of federal funding, the project faces uncertainty, as state officials will need to determine whether alternative financing can be secured.
The move underscores the administration’s stated priority of investing in traditional infrastructure, particularly in sectors such as shipping, shipbuilding, and domestic energy production.
The decision is also consistent with President Trump’s longstanding position against wind energy and his repeated calls to support American manufacturing and energy independence through conventional means.
With the reallocation of funds, federal resources will be redirected toward maritime improvements and infrastructure projects aimed at strengthening U.S. energy and industrial capacity.
The opinions expressed by contributors and/or content partners are their own and do not necessarily reflect the views of LifeZette. Contact us for guidelines on submitting your own commentary.
Read the full article here