By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Concealed RepublicanConcealed Republican
  • Home
  • Latest News
  • Guns
  • Politics
  • Videos
Reading: Congo Ebola center torched after clash over victim’s body retrieval
Share
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
Font ResizerAa
Concealed RepublicanConcealed Republican
  • News
  • Guns
  • Politics
  • Videos
  • Home
  • Latest News
  • Guns
  • Politics
  • Videos
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
  • Advertise
  • Advertise
© 2022 Foxiz News Network. Ruby Design Company. All Rights Reserved.
Concealed Republican > Blog > News > Congo Ebola center torched after clash over victim’s body retrieval
News

Congo Ebola center torched after clash over victim’s body retrieval

Jim Taft
Last updated: May 22, 2026 8:28 am
By Jim Taft 4 Min Read
Share
Congo Ebola center torched after clash over victim’s body retrieval
SHARE

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

An Ebola treatment center in the epicenter of the deadly outbreak in eastern Congo was set on fire Thursday after angry residents clashed with authorities over the body of a suspected victim.

Rwampara Hospital was attacked by local youths attempting to retrieve the body of a friend who had reportedly died of Ebola, a witness told The Associated Press.

“The police intervened to try to calm the situation, but unfortunately they were unsuccessful,” Alexis Burata, a local student who said he was in the area, told the outlet. “The young people ended up setting fire to the center. That’s the situation.”

The AP reported that people broke into the center and set fire to objects inside. A reporter also witnessed what appeared to be the body of at least one suspected Ebola victim being burned inside the facility.

EBOLA OUTBREAK REPORTED IN AFRICAN COUNTRY — HERE’S WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW

The Alliance for International Medical Action (ALIMA) said two tents used to treat Ebola patients were set on fire at the hospital. The organization said six people were receiving treatment for Ebola at the center.

Patrick Muyaya, a government spokesperson for the Democratic Republic of the Congo, said medical care was continuing normally and all six patients were accounted for.

He called for calm while condemning violence against health facilities and medical staff.

WHO DECLARES EBOLA OUTBREAK IN CENTRAL AFRICA A PUBLIC HEALTH EMERGENCY AFTER 80 SUSPECTED DEATHS

Flames and smoke rise from an Ebola treatment center in Rwampara, Congo

Deputy Senior Commissioner Jean Claude Mukendi, head of the public security department in Ituri Province, said the individuals who burned the tents did not understand the protocols surrounding Ebola burials.

The incident underscored growing tensions between health officials enforcing strict Ebola containment measures and local customs surrounding funerals and burial rites.

“His family, friends, and other young people wanted to take his body home for a funeral even though the instructions from the authorities during this Ebola virus outbreak are clear,” Mukendi said. “All bodies must be buried according to the regulations.”

‘DISEASE X’ HAS KILLED DOZENS IN THE CONGO — HERE’S WHAT TO KNOW ABOUT THE MYSTERY ILLNESS

Charred hospital beds stand in smoldering Ebola treatment center in Rwampara, Congo

In its statement, ALIMA condemned the spread of “incorrect or unconfirmed information on social media and the internet,” warning that misinformation could fuel fear and mistrust toward health facilities.

The violent clash comes as Congolese health officials reported 160 suspected deaths and 671 suspected Ebola cases across two provinces in the Democratic Republic of the Congo. The United Nations said earlier this week that neighboring Uganda had reported two cases, including one death.

The World Health Organization (WHO) declared the outbreak a public health emergency Sunday, and the U.S. issued an urgent travel warning for the DRC shortly afterward.

US ISSUES URGENT TRAVEL WARNING AS DEADLY EBOLA OUTBREAK SPREADS OVERSEAS

Congolese police personnel and civilians stand near the burning Ebola treatment center

WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said earlier this week he was “deeply concerned about the scale and speed of the epidemic.”

Officials said the outbreak was caused by the Bundibugyo strain of the Ebola virus, a rarer variant for which existing vaccines may be less effective.

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP

Nearly $4 million in emergency funding has been approved by the WHO to support national authorities responding to the outbreak.

Fox News Digital’s Anders Hagstrom and The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Read the full article here

You Might Also Like

DHS fires back at Jimmy Kimmel for mocking Sec. Mullin’s plumbing past

Robot slot machine chasing Vegas gamblers down has people worried ‘The Twilight Zone’ is coming true

Man accused of monstrous abuse of stepson is brain-dead after trying to commit suicide in jail — case now centers on mother

Hard times create strong men — at any age

Convicted murderer and rapist killed by cop during parole warrant arrest allegedly refused to drop gun

Share This Article
Facebook X Email Print
Previous Article Foreigners who hate each other, disrespect women are creating serious problems for the Canadian military Foreigners who hate each other, disrespect women are creating serious problems for the Canadian military
Next Article Female Christian kindergarten teacher pleads guilty to child seduction; court docs reveal she had sex with girl in church Female Christian kindergarten teacher pleads guilty to child seduction; court docs reveal she had sex with girl in church
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

- Advertisement -
Ad image

Latest News

Female Christian kindergarten teacher pleads guilty to child seduction; court docs reveal she had sex with girl in church
Female Christian kindergarten teacher pleads guilty to child seduction; court docs reveal she had sex with girl in church
News
Foreigners who hate each other, disrespect women are creating serious problems for the Canadian military
Foreigners who hate each other, disrespect women are creating serious problems for the Canadian military
News
Stephen Colbert, CBS and the collapse of late-night TV politics
Stephen Colbert, CBS and the collapse of late-night TV politics
News
Top scammer of ‘Feeding Our Future’ fraud in Minnesota NAILED with painful sentence
Top scammer of ‘Feeding Our Future’ fraud in Minnesota NAILED with painful sentence
News
Rep. Tom Kean Jr. says he’ll return to Congress in weeks after absence
Rep. Tom Kean Jr. says he’ll return to Congress in weeks after absence
News
Nithya Raman Was Today Years Old When She Learned About the LA Fires and Pathetic City Response
Nithya Raman Was Today Years Old When She Learned About the LA Fires and Pathetic City Response
Politics
© 2025 Concealed Republican. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of use
  • Press Release
  • Advertise
  • Contact
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?