President Donald Trump has instructed Secretary of War Pete Hegseth to substantially reduce U.S. participation in joint military exercises with South Korea, saying the drills are costly to American taxpayers and send what he considers an inappropriate signal to North Korea, as reported by Townhall.
Trump announced the decision Sunday, August 16, in a post on Truth Social. He said the exercises had already been scheduled and could not be canceled at this point, but he directed Hegseth to reduce their size.
Image Credit: Beachside Stock
The president also argued that American taxpayers carry much of the financial burden associated with the exercises. His comments come as the administration continues to emphasize reducing what Trump views as unnecessary costs and reassessing long-standing U.S. military commitments.
Gold. Upgraded. Buy real gold from $1. Store it in America. Sell it with one click.
Trump said the exercises also send a signal that is “totally inappropriate and hostile” toward North Korea. He pointed to what he described as his good relationship with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un as another reason for changing the scale of the exercises.
“Based on my very good relationship with Kim Jong Un, of North Korea, I am not happy with the fact that the United States has, long ago, agreed to participate in Joint Military Exercises with South Korea. These exercises are not only costly, with much of these costs paid for by the United States of America (as usual!), but send a signal that is totally inappropriate and hostile, to a Country that, as long as Donald J. Trump has been President, has been unthreatening and respectful. Therefore, and based on the fact that it is too late to cancel, I have instructed Secretary of War, Pete Hegseth, to substantially reduce the Joint Military Exercises! While somewhat unrelated (?), I recently asked the President of South Korea if they would like to join us in the Denuclearization of the Islamic Republic of Iran, and they said, “No thanks!”
Trump also connected his decision to a separate conversation with South Korean President Lee Jae Myung concerning the administration’s efforts to denuclearize Iran.
According to Trump, the South Korean president declined a request to participate in those efforts. Trump characterized the exchange as unrelated to the military exercises but included it in the same post announcing the reduction.
BREAKING: President Trump has ordered Sec. Pete Hegseth to MASSIVELY REDUCE military exercises with South Korea, based on his solid relationship with Kim Jong Un
47 also says South Korea ABANDONED him in Iran
“Based on my very good relationship with Kim Jong Un, of… pic.twitter.com/MSIDHkn3dz
— Eric Daugherty (@EricLDaugh) August 16, 2026
This Could Be the Most Important Video Gun Owners Watch All Year
The president’s order does not call for an end to the military exercises altogether. Instead, Trump said the exercises would be substantially reduced because canceling them outright was no longer practical.
Joint military exercises between the United States and South Korea have long served as a major component of the two countries’ military cooperation.
The drills are intended to maintain readiness and coordination between American and South Korean forces on the Korean Peninsula.
Trump’s latest announcement represents another adjustment to the U.S. military posture overseas under his administration.
Rather than simply continuing established exercises because they have been conducted for years, the president is directing his defense secretary to reconsider their size and cost.
The White House announcement also places renewed attention on Trump’s relationship with Kim Jong Un.
Trump has previously pursued direct engagement with the North Korean leader, making the Korean Peninsula one of the areas where his administration has sought a different approach from previous presidents.
For South Korea, the United States remains a key military ally, and American forces have maintained a presence on the peninsula for decades.
The administration’s decision to scale back the upcoming exercises therefore represents a change in the scope of planned U.S.-South Korean military activity, even though Trump did not announce an end to the exercises themselves.
The instruction to Hegseth comes as Trump continues pressing allied nations to shoulder more responsibility for shared security arrangements and as his administration evaluates the costs associated with U.S. military commitments abroad.
For now, the exercises are expected to proceed in reduced form rather than being canceled. Trump made clear that the immediate change is intended to limit their scope while maintaining the broader U.S.-South Korean military relationship.
Gold is the oldest answer. SoundMoney makes owning it as easy as the apps you already use.
The opinions expressed by contributors and/or content partners are their own and do not necessarily reflect the views of LifeZette. Contact us for guidelines on submitting your own commentary.
Read the full article here


