By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Concealed RepublicanConcealed Republican
  • Home
  • Latest News
  • Guns
  • Politics
  • Videos
Reading: Lena Dunham recalls father not wanting to vote with her amid 2012 backlash
Share
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
Font ResizerAa
Concealed RepublicanConcealed Republican
  • News
  • Guns
  • Politics
  • Videos
  • Home
  • Latest News
  • Guns
  • Politics
  • Videos
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
  • Advertise
  • Advertise
© 2022 Foxiz News Network. Ruby Design Company. All Rights Reserved.
Concealed Republican > Blog > News > Lena Dunham recalls father not wanting to vote with her amid 2012 backlash
News

Lena Dunham recalls father not wanting to vote with her amid 2012 backlash

Jim Taft
Last updated: April 14, 2026 3:48 am
By Jim Taft 3 Min Read
Share
Lena Dunham recalls father not wanting to vote with her amid 2012 backlash
SHARE

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

Lena Dunham recalls her own father not wanting to be seen at the voting booths with her during the 2012 Barack Obama versus Mitt Romney election.

On “The Interview” podcast, Dunham recalled that once she began receiving hate online, it affected even her personal relationships.

“I remember there was a day, and this is not in the book, where I was going to vote with my father. And I had been campaigning for Obama. It was 2012. And I remember he said, ‘I don’t know if I wanna go vote with Lena Dunham,'” she recalled.

“And I was like my father thinks going to vote with me is going to signal something,” Dunham continued.

JENNIFER LAWRENCE SAYS SHE AVOIDS POLITICS TO NOT ‘ADD FUEL TO A FIRE THAT’S RIPPING THE COUNTRY APART’

The actress and producer said that her father is her “best friend in the world,” so him wanting to not be seen with her in public was the moment she understood “something was going on here.”

“I had been campaigning for Obama. It was 2012. And I remember he said, ‘I don’t know if I wanna go vote with Lena Dunham.'”

— Lena Dunham

In 2012, Dunham faced offline drama for her HBO series, “Girls,” which she wrote and starred in. At the time, viewers were unhappy with the lack of racial inclusivity and the economic privilege that was highlighted in the show that aired for five years.

Speaking on the New York Times’ podcast, Dunham believes the negativity she received from the series stemmed from people disliking her as a person.

“I’m going to say something that’s going to sound like a cop out. And I don’t, but I can only phrase it this way. I have annoyed people since I was so small. Like, I was an annoying kid,” she said.

Lena Dunham standing on carpet wearing a blue sparkly dress in New York City

Dunham believes that, paired with the intense female sexuality on the show, led to unhappy viewers. 

LIKE WHAT YOU’RE READING? CLICK HERE FOR MORE ENTERTAINMENT NEWS

Just before “Girls” premiered in 2012, old racially insensitive tweets that Dunham wrote resurfaced. 

Lena Dunham standing at the Girls Greenroom Photo Op at SXSW in Austin, Texas

Over the years, Dunham has found herself in several controversies. Dunham compared producer Judd Apatow’s “obsession” with the rape allegations against Bill Cosby to an obsession with the Holocaust. She compared online hate from blogs to domestic violence, and she compared President Donald Trump to Dylann Roof, the man who murdered nine black churchgoers in Charleston, South Carolina, in 2015 because of their race.

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP

Read the full article here

You Might Also Like

Rep. Tom Emmer rips Walz for claiming credit for Minneapolis raids

World Cup group stage nears the end with high-stakes matches and betting opportunities across four games

China rolls out red carpet for Trump ahead of high-stakes Xi showdown

An Interview With Eric Wesson: Being a Wesson, Dan, D.B., & More!

Comer demands ATF documents on Biden team’s ties to Everytown gun control group

Share This Article
Facebook X Email Print
Previous Article Trump Admin Unveils Plan for 250-Foot “Independence Arch” in Washington [WATCH] Trump Admin Unveils Plan for 250-Foot “Independence Arch” in Washington [WATCH]
Next Article Brian Stelter is getting CRUSHED on social media for praising journalism about Swalwell sex allegations Brian Stelter is getting CRUSHED on social media for praising journalism about Swalwell sex allegations
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

- Advertisement -
Ad image

Latest News

MAGA-haters mock Giants quarterback for getting laid out by massive hit
MAGA-haters mock Giants quarterback for getting laid out by massive hit
News
Jordyn Tyson’s hamstring injury could sideline Saints pick 2 months
Jordyn Tyson’s hamstring injury could sideline Saints pick 2 months
News
When Even Basic Fractions Are a Math Problem Too Far for College Students
When Even Basic Fractions Are a Math Problem Too Far for College Students
Politics
‘Expert witness’ humiliated in  million lawsuit after lawyers discover one insane detail
‘Expert witness’ humiliated in $61 million lawsuit after lawyers discover one insane detail
News
Virginia man flees US during 48-hour hospital pass after murder case
Virginia man flees US during 48-hour hospital pass after murder case
News
A French Constitutional Court to the Innerwebs Rescue
A French Constitutional Court to the Innerwebs Rescue
Politics
© 2025 Concealed Republican. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of use
  • Press Release
  • Advertise
  • Contact
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?