By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Concealed RepublicanConcealed Republican
  • Home
  • Latest News
  • Guns
  • Politics
  • Videos
Reading: NPR seeks staff buyouts despite receiving $113 million in donations last month
Share
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
Font ResizerAa
Concealed RepublicanConcealed Republican
  • News
  • Guns
  • Politics
  • Videos
  • Home
  • Latest News
  • Guns
  • Politics
  • Videos
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
  • Advertise
  • Advertise
© 2022 Foxiz News Network. Ruby Design Company. All Rights Reserved.
Concealed Republican > Blog > News > NPR seeks staff buyouts despite receiving $113 million in donations last month
News

NPR seeks staff buyouts despite receiving $113 million in donations last month

Jim Taft
Last updated: May 18, 2026 11:06 pm
By Jim Taft 4 Min Read
Share
NPR seeks staff buyouts despite receiving 3 million in donations last month
SHARE

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

NPR announced it is offering buyouts to staffers just weeks after it received over $100 million in charitable gifts.

According to a report from NPR’s media correspondent David Folkenflik, NPR CEO Katherine Maher wrote in a memo that the outlet “has to fill a gap of $8 million in its $300-million annual budget” after President Donald Trump and GOP lawmakers cut federal funding last year and that NPR is expected to “earn $15 million less in station fees this year and is anticipating a drop in corporate sponsorship revenue.”

“The network is offering buyouts to approximately 300 employees, mostly within newsgathering desks in the newsroom. Staff of NPR’s news programs, including hosts, are not eligible,” Folkenflik wrote.

CORPORATION FOR PUBLIC BROADCASTING BOARD VOTES TO DISSOLVE ORGANIZATION AFTER CONGRESS DEFUNDS NPR, PBS

NPR reportedly is seeking up to 30 staffers to accept the buyout by May 26, and that layoffs could take place if not enough staffers take a buyout. The outlet has 425 newsroom employees, according to NPR editor-in-chief Thomas Evans.

“We have to change this organization,” Evans said in a statement. “We have to think about this audience. We have to think about how they are consuming us. We have to think about the member stations. We have to keep what I consider to be the last truly independent newsroom in the country healthy and alive and vibrant.”

“We have made every effort to preserve the core capacity and strengths of what makes NPR different and distinct,” Maher wrote in the memo. “This is never an easy choice to make, to have to cut anywhere near the newsroom.”

‘PBS NEWS WEEKEND’ AIRS FINAL EPISODE AFTER TRUMP’S PUBLIC MEDIA SPENDING CUTS

Katherine Maher

Last month, NPR received a whopping $113 million in charitable gifts from two megadonors. One came from liberal philanthropist Connie Ballmer, who gave $80 million, while the rest came from an anonymous donor. 

However, that money was specifically dedicated to “technological innovation.”

“I support NPR because an informed public is the bedrock of our society, and democracy requires strong, independent journalism,” Ballmer said at the time. “My hope is that this commitment provides the stability and the spark NPR needs to innovate boldly and strengthen its national network.”

CLICK HERE FOR THE LATEST MEDIA AND CULTURE NEWS

Connie Ballmer

NPR did not immediately respond to Fox News Digital’s request for comment.

Over the past year, NPR and PBS have faced uncharted territory after the GOP-controlled Congress voted to cut funding from the two public media organizations, something Republicans campaigned on for decades.

In recent years, NPR and PBS have been in the crosshairs of Trump and GOP lawmakers over allegations of political bias, which NPR and PBS leadership have vehemently denied.

Read the full article here

You Might Also Like

Sensitive Places? Try Sensitive Targets

Journalist attacked at anti-ICE blockade, says agitators try to ‘deter’ truth

Blinded by modern headlights? A new visor aims to cut the glare

Sen Rand Paul says US is in ‘ongoing war’ with Venezuela to acquire oil

‘He meant that s**t’: Actors rage after man with Tourette’s yells N-word during award show

Share This Article
Facebook X Email Print
Previous Article Sabrina Carpenter Turns Heads in Sheer Dior Gown in LA [WATCH] Sabrina Carpenter Turns Heads in Sheer Dior Gown in LA [WATCH]
Next Article California woman illegally paid homeless people on Skid Row to register to vote California woman illegally paid homeless people on Skid Row to register to vote
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

- Advertisement -
Ad image

Latest News

John Stamos Honors Late ‘Full House’ Star Bob Saget With Touching 70th Birthday Tribute [WATCH]
John Stamos Honors Late ‘Full House’ Star Bob Saget With Touching 70th Birthday Tribute [WATCH]
Politics
Too Fun to Check: ‘Civil War’ At the NYT Over Kristof’s Blood Libel?
Too Fun to Check: ‘Civil War’ At the NYT Over Kristof’s Blood Libel?
Politics
Meet the Virginia Prosecutors Who Say They Won’t Enforce Democrats’ ‘Assault Firearm’ and Magazine Ban
Meet the Virginia Prosecutors Who Say They Won’t Enforce Democrats’ ‘Assault Firearm’ and Magazine Ban
News
California woman illegally paid homeless people on Skid Row to register to vote
California woman illegally paid homeless people on Skid Row to register to vote
News
Sabrina Carpenter Turns Heads in Sheer Dior Gown in LA [WATCH]
Sabrina Carpenter Turns Heads in Sheer Dior Gown in LA [WATCH]
Politics
Scooter Braun Fully Supports Sydney Sweeney’s Bold ‘Euphoria’ Scenes, Source Says [WATCH]
Scooter Braun Fully Supports Sydney Sweeney’s Bold ‘Euphoria’ Scenes, Source Says [WATCH]
Politics
© 2025 Concealed Republican. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of use
  • Press Release
  • Advertise
  • Contact
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?