A South African surfer who survived an attack by two great white sharks as a teenager said he paddled back to safety with one hand after being pulled underwater at Nahoon Reef in East London, South Africa, as reported by The New York Post.
Shannon Ainslie, now 41, was 15 years old when the attack happened on July 17, 2000. Ainslie, from Jeffreys Bay, South Africa, said he was surfing at Nahoon Reef when two sharks struck, grabbing his board and pulling him below the surface.
Ainslie said the area is known for strong waves, but surfers also know sharks can be present.
South African surfer attacked by two great white sharks paddled to safety with one hand: ‘Thought I was going to die’.. These people can’t leave sharks alone. Wonder why pic.twitter.com/qjcPI0IeZF
— Bill Jones (@BJones9950) May 19, 2026
“Nahoon Reef has some of the best waves in South Africa, but everyone knows there is sharks there, so you have to watch out,” Ainslie said.
Here’s What They’re Not Telling You About Your Retirement
He said other surfers began leaving the water after sharks were spotted during the session, but he stayed out to catch more waves.
“It was half an hour into our surf, people started getting out of the water because someone had spotted sharks,” Ainslie said. “The other surfers paddled into the beach, but I just stayed out to catch some more waves.”
Moments later, Ainslie said two sharks attacked.
“Two sharks attacked me. One hit me up into the sky and grabbed my board, pulling me under the water,” he said.
This Could Be the Most Important Video Gun Owners Watch All Year
“He had bit the top of my board, which means half of his bite was taken away by the fin of the board, but he caught my fingers,” Ainslie continued.
“The second shark came on my right side but missed his bite because I was already being dragged down,” he said.
Ainslie said he came face-to-face with one of the sharks after it released him.
“Then the shark let go, and we ended up just staring at each other, face to face,” he said. “I remember staring into this dark eye and seeing its teeth. I didn’t understand what was happening; it felt like a dream.”
Ainslie said he believed he might not survive the attack.
“I honestly thought I was going to die. I was crying, panicking, saying ‘Please Jesus, keep me safe.’”
After being dragged about 100 meters from shore, Ainslie lay on his board and paddled in a zig-zag pattern with one hand in an attempt to deter the sharks and reach the beach.
He made it back to shore, where others helped stop the bleeding before he was taken for medical care. Ainslie said he received 30 stitches and was discharged the morning after the incident.
The next day, Ainslie learned the attack had been filmed by a foreign backpacker on the beach, and he later watched the footage.
“It was crazy seeing the footage afterwards,” he said.
The video brought sudden attention to Ainslie, who said the public reaction was difficult for him as a shy teenager.
“Suddenly, I was doing interviews and appearances everywhere. It was overwhelming because I was such a shy kid,” he said.
“I walked into assembly late when I was back in school, and all 1,200 students just stared at me,” Ainslie added. “The teachers even got me to speak to the whole school about what happened. It was insane.”
He said the attention after the attack was harder to handle than many people realized.
“I was such a shy school boy, honestly, I was not used to all the attention. I just wanted to surf with my bros, and next thing I am off school after a shark attack,” he said.
“Everyone would treat me so differently; it was a lot to get used to, harder, I would say, than getting used to a shark bite,” he added.
Six weeks after the attack, Ainslie returned to surfing on the same day his cast was removed. He said “Ripley’s Believe It or Not” wanted to film his first surf session back, and he paddled out near the same spot with his brothers beside him.
“I was nervous, but strangely I was less afraid of sharks after the attack,” he said. “‘Ripley’s Believe It or Not’ wanted to film my first surf back, so I paddled out near the same spot with my brothers beside me.”
Ainslie still owns the surfboard from the attack, which has a large bite mark. He now uses the board in motivational talks and presentations.
Today, Ainslie works as a surf coach. He said the experience changed his outlook and strengthened his faith.
“People think I should live in fear, but really I was given a second chance,” he said.
“That is one of the reasons I wanted to become a surf coach, to help other people enjoy life and the ocean,” he said.
“I had never been religious, but I prayed to Jesus when I was being attacked, and I have been a believer ever since,” Ainslie said.
“I will never forget the fear of that moment, but I still love surfing.”
Warning: Account balances and purchasing power no longer tell the same story. Know in 2 minutes if your retirement is working for you.
The opinions expressed by contributors and/or content partners are their own and do not necessarily reflect the views of LifeZette. Contact us for guidelines on submitting your own commentary.
Read the full article here


